Thursday, May 22, 2008

5/22/08 - Girl Scouts ROCK!

Being a Girl Scout Leader for my daughter's Brownie Troop, I know how much fun it is to spend the time with the girls and learn the partnership between the scouts and the adults. Not only do the girls build a long life friendship, but the Girl Scout program emphasizes "Girl Power!"...to build self esteem, confidence and to help them succeed in the day to day activities as they go through the different stages in life.

I had the pleasure to be invited to one of the older Girl Scout troops...Cadette Troop 5 with the Sacramento Buddhist Church. What a GREAT group of girls. They asked if I could come to one of their meetings since they were working on earning the "Paper Works" Badge. One of the criteria is to interview someone who is in the "paper" industry or has knowledge of working with paper goods (printer, retail store owner, etc). I was shocked to hear some of the girls' questions...they were serious and the questions were such thought out questions. Well, after the interview...I could not let them go without doing a little project! They each made a journal book using some "Girl Scout" scrapbooking papers, rubber stamps, embellishments and die cuts. With a composition book and a little pen attached....they had a personalized journal book!

In order for me to attend their meeting, it meant that I had to miss one of my troop meetings (since we met on the same night) but there were reasons behind it! I had two goals...one, to voice my story about how I came to this path in owning a scrapbooking store...but really, to let them know that if they work hard...never let their dreams go...and empower themselves with the up most confidence, they can do just about anything. Two, is because I am a true believer in programs like these...to help your child grow with confidence and "try" new things without the pressure of everyday society...that is what Girl Scout's is all about. I had a blast...and it was all because I really felt these girls' efforts and sincere appreciation for what I call..."my dream come true" story.

P.S Come by the shop to see our selection of Girl and Boy Scouting papers and embellishments. Also, see some of our projects that we've done for other troops and dens. If you need to fulfill an activity for scouting, we can help your troop or den...just give us a call!

No comments: